So many people end up emptying out their bank accounts in order to have a romantic night out with the person they love for Valentine’s Day. The buy new clothes, fill up gas for the car, splurge on an expensive prefix menu option at the restaurant with the best view of the city. Don’t forget about the drinking, dancing, more drinking and the exchanging of fancy gifts which all take place in one night to show appreciation for your significant others. It can be exhausting as well.
Sometimes this reckless abandonment of funds gets old and all you really want is to spend a nice quiet night at home with a cheap bottle of wine, some snacks, a warm blanket and a movie streaming on Netflix that you can watch with your love.
Here are some of our top 10 romantic movies that happen to be streaming on Netflix this month. Some are more traditional, while others appeal to that crowd that seems to fear the label of “Rom-Com”.
1. Pride and Prejudice (2005)– Sparks fly when spirited Elizabeth Bennet meets single, rich, and proud Mr. Darcy. But Mr. Darcy reluctantly finds himself falling in love with a woman beneath his class. Can each overcome their own pride and prejudice?
2. Silver Linings Playbook (2012)–After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own.
3. Shakespeare in Love (1998)–A young Shakespeare, out of ideas and short of cash, meets his ideal woman and is inspired to write one of his most famous plays.
4. Blue Is The Warmest Color (2013)–Adele’s life is changed when she meets Emma, a young woman with blue hair, who will allow her to discover desire, to assert herself as a woman and as an adult. In front of others, Adele grows, seeks herself, loses herself and ultimately finds herself through love and loss.
5. New York, I Love You (2008)–Several love stories set in one of the most loved cities of the world, New York.
6. A Walk On The Moon (1999)–The world of a young housewife is turned upside down when she has an affair with a free-spirited blouse salesman.
7. Punch-Drunk Love (2002)–A psychologically troubled novelty supplier is nudged towards a romance with an English woman, all the while being extorted by a phone-sex line run by a crooked mattress salesman, and purchasing stunning amounts of pudding.
8. Roman Holiday (1953)–A bored and sheltered princess escapes her guardians and falls in love with an American newsman in Rome.
9. I Hate Valentine’s Day (2009)–A florist, who abides by a strict five-date-limit with any man, finds herself wanting more with the new restaurateur in town.
10. Across the Universe (2007)–The music of the Beatles and the Vietnam War form the backdrop for the romance between an upper-class American girl and a poor Liverpudlian artist.
Honorable Mention: Clueless, Love Actually, Moonrise Kingdom, Bridget Jones’s Diary.
And for movies in the theaters this week, check out How To Be Single!